Falcao: Ballon d'Or nomination reflects my hard work


The Atletico Madrid striker is competing with the likes of Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo for the prize, and has thanked his team-mates for helping him towards the honour


Triplete de Falcao vs Chelsea
Triplete de Falcao vs Chelsea

Nominated for the coveted Ballon d’Or by virtue of a strike rate bettered only by his fellow Liga poster boys Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo over the past 12 months, Atletico Madrid’s goalscoring machine Radamel Falcao could be forgiven for allowing his new found fame and notoriety to go to his head.

The 26-year-old has scored at a scarcely credible rate over the last three seasons, over 100 for his former club Porto and current employers combined, but remains uneasy at comparisons that are increasingly being drawn between himself, Messi and Ronaldo.

Hard work, dedication and persistence, allied to a remarkable knack of being in the right place at the right time, have been the key to the Colombian’s remarkable record since he swapped the blue of Porto for the red of Atletico following the Portuguese side’s Europa League triumph 18 months ago and no amount of personal acclaim is likely to change his approach.

"I take it easy," he told Watch-kora.com. "I don’t think about this particular time I’m living in. I keep the same ambition, desire and will than when I didn’t play in Europe.


FALCAO TALKS UP CHELSEA
"Chelsea are champions of Europe and there is not much more to say than that.

"Even after winning the Champions League they still go and sign players of the highest quality. Their ambition is clear.

"I was also a big fan of [former Chelsea forward] Gianfranco Zola when I was growing up."

"I haven’t changed. I know that I’m enjoying a good run but I don’t put pressure on myself. I don’t think about the competence I have with other players. I sleep well, believe me.

"I felt both happiness and pride [at the Ballon d'Or nomination]. The nomination reflects all the hard work I’ve done for years. It means a lot to me because I worked hard to make this team play a big role out there.

"Good results have spread my popularity and made my work well recognised. I thank God that the team’s work has led me to the Ballon d'Or nomination.

"To be rated so highly by some football managers and colleagues, it’s a great joy. It is also a great responsibility since currently there are many good strikers. It means a lot to be among the best."

شارك الموضوع

مواضيع ذات صلة