التخطي إلى المحتوى الرئيسي

Real Madrid will be more dangerous following Getafe defeat, admits Tito Vilanova


The boss of the Catalan giants revealed his opinion that Jose Mourinho's side will provide more formidable opposition in the Supercopa final following a humiliating loss on Sunday

Jose Mourinho - Tito Vilanova

Barcelona trainer Tito Vilanova believes his side will face a tougher task against Real Madrid as the club are still in search of their first win of the season.

The Blaugrana narrowly escaped defeat to Osasuna at the weekend as they came from behind to win 2-1 but Jose Mourinho's side were not as fortunate as they went down to Getafe by the same scoreline.

Asked whether Sunday's result would make Los Blancos more vulnerable or more formidable in the second leg of the Supercopa on Thursday, the Barca coach was in no doubt that the latter effect would be more prominent.

"[It will make them] More dangerous, yes, yes. That's normal, the same would happen with us," Vilanova said in a press conference.

"If we had not won in two or three games and we were playing at home, we would try to change the dynamic as quickly as possible.

"But in themselves Madrid are already dangerous with the number of players they have, and in the [Santiago] Bernabeu. It is impossible to think about going to Madrid and having an easy game.

"They are very good. You just have to look at what they did last year."

However, Vilanova admitted that while it would be nice to lift some silverware by winning the Supercopa he does not believe the result will have much bearing on the rest of the season.

"[It is] Better to win it than not win it, but I don't think it marks the season. We have had three games and thinking that the winner of the Super Cup is going to win all the titles to come... I don't think so. There is so much ahead.

"We all know Madrid will many games and points. It is too much to analyse with only two match days [in La Liga]."

The 42-year-old also revealed that new-signing Alexandre Song could be in line to make his debut in the fixture.

"He [Song] has only had a week. He has a few mechanisms to learn obviously. We will see if he gets a few minutes."

المشاركات الشائعة من هذه المدونة

Brazil struggle to beat 10-man Ghana in friendly

Brazil, with playmaker Ronaldinho back in the side, struggled to beat 10-man Ghana 1-0 in a friendly at Fulham's Craven Cottage ground on Monday.  Leandro Damiao struck the only goal on the stroke of halftime, running on to a defence-splitting ball from Fernandinho and finding the corner of the net from a tight angle.  It was one of the few moments of invention from the former world champions, even with the crafty Ronaldinho returning for his first international appearance since November after showing excellent form for Brazilian title contenders Flamengo.  Ghana never threatened after having defender Daniel Opare sent off in the 32nd minute, a series of over exuberant challenges earning him repeated warnings from Mike Dean before the English referee ran out of patience.  The game started at a furious pace but the red card changed things, with Ghana retreating after halftime in a bid to keep Brazil at bay.  The...

Spain Roundup-Barca promote Cuenca to first team

Brief news from La Liga ahead of this weekend's matches (All times GMT):  * Barcelona have promoted youth team winger Isaac Cuenca to the first team with an improved contract which will tie him until 2015, the European champions said on Friday.  Cuenca, 21, made his debut in the Champions League last October and has made 15 first-team appearances since.  He is likely to get further opportunities starting at Villarreal on Saturday (2100) as Pep Guardiola has David Villa, Ibrahim Afellay, Andreu Fontas, Andres Iniesta and Alexis Sanchez out injured.  * Villarreal, who started the season playing in the Champions League, secured their first win under new coach Jose Molina last weekend but are only kept out of the bottom three by goal difference.  "We have had a tough season so far," defender Gonzalo Rodriguez said. "We need a special performance to help us to believe in ourselves again."  Villarreal have a d...

Islanders acquire Rolston in trade with Devils

New Jersey Devils left wing Brian Rolston The New York Islanders have acquired center Brian Rolston and a conditional draft pick in 2012 from the New Jersey Devils for right wing Trent Hunter, the teams said on Thursday. The 38-year-old Rolston, a 2007 All-Star who has spent the past three seasons with the Devils, collected 14 goals and 34 points in 65 games last season. He played on the Devils' 1995 Stanley Cup winners during a previous stint in New Jersey and has also played with the Colorado Avalanche, Boston Bruins and Minnesota Wild during a 16-year career. Four times he scored 30 or more goals. Hunter, 31, who has scored 99 goals in 459 career games with the Islanders, played in only 17 games in 2010-11 with one goal and four points before having season-ending surgery for a torn knee ligament in February.